- 1 in 3 Malaysians have mental health issues, as stated by the National Health and Morbidity Survey in 2015. A research conducted by Universiti Malaya concluded that the COVID-19 pandemic and MCO will see an upsurge in mental health disorders.
- A total of 266 people have died by suicide between the start of MCO (18th March 2020) to 30th October 2020. It is equivalent to around 30 suicides a month, or one suicide a day, as reported in a research by RELATE in 2021.
- Currently, the healthcare system is overburdened and under-resourced. In order to handle the parallel pandemic of mental health, the mental health NGOs and social enterprises of Malaysia have joined forces to setup the first Central Mental Health Fund.
Who We Are
- Thrive Well is a community-based mental health centre that connects clients to accessible individual family and community mental health. https://www.thethrive.center/
- MIASA (Mental Illness Awareness and Support Association) is a mental health NGO founded by patients for patients, to provide support and promote awareness on mental health. https://miasa.org.my/
- MMHA (Malaysia Mental Health Association) is a non-profit organisation established to promote mental health awareness and public mental well being. https://mmha.org.my/
- RELATE Malaysia is an organization established to increase mental health literacy, promote prevention and early intervention in Malaysia. https://relate.com.my
Help Us Train More Mental Health Workers
- The shortage of mental health workers is one of the biggest issues in advancing mental health in Malaysia. The World Health Organization report in 2014 revealed that in Malaysia there are only 1 psychiatrist and 1 psychologist available for 100,000 people.
- We are raising RM50,000 to train volunteers equipped to handle basic mental health education and support
- All funds will be distributed equally amongst the 4 NGOs and Social Enterprises listed above.
For further information, please contact the project lead at [email protected]
Your contribution will help us;
- Train more volunteers equipped with the knowledge of basic mental health education and support
- Provide Malaysians with access to resources and information for mental health care
- Advocate to reduce mental health stigma in Malaysia
Other Ways You Can Help
If you are unable to contribute financially, you can still help by;
- Sharing this campaign to get the word out and hashtag #MYMinda
- Indicate your interest to volunteer with one of the mental health organizations above.
The fundraising campaign will run for two months, from March - April 2021. Once the campaign concludes, the funds will be distributed equally and utilized by mental health organizations within 3 months.
Pledgers can transfer their pledge using the Secure Online Payment by
Razer Merchant Services allows payment using credit card or other online banking services (FPX, CIMBClicks, Maybank2u and etc.)